Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Addictive Devices, Voyeur Culture - Boon or a Curse - My Choice!

It's been some time that I've known that I'm battling an addiction - like all addicts I still tell myself that I'm in control - but my inner voice tells me otherwise. It's not just checking emails or Facebook first thing in the morning- thanks to that demon device (an iPhone) it's pretty much in bed - out of bed - probably every 20 minutes. By now you are probably smirking at me - but hey it's not just me there's a million or more out there - and it's widely known to be the biggest online Time sink.

I actually Googled up a couple of links that may help me heal myself - and all you closet addicts out there are welcome to sneak a peek:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-step_program
http://www.thedailymind.com/productivity/facebook-syndrome-8-ways-to-beat-your-facebook-addiction/
The first is a link to the Alcoholics Anonymous program - it's been adapted for several other addiction programs so I'm guessing the basic tenets should work for online/Facebook addiction as well - So here are the main steps:
  • admitting that one cannot control one's addiction or compulsion;
  • recognizing a greater power that can give strength;
  • examining past errors with the help of a sponsor (experienced member);
  • making amends for these errors;
  • learning to live a new life with a new code of behavior;
  • helping others that suffer from the same addictions or compulsions.
I've already taken the first step - and believe in the second - the second link is actually a write-up by someone who was able to cure his Facebook addiction so that covers the third step. The one I've hurt most by this addiction is unfortunately me so I'm planning to make amends by communicating with my inner self - as a first step I look forward to reading once again - for academic interests, self-help books and my long-time favorite fiction! so off to the 5th step.
This is the part where I get to create and master a hopefully sustainable plan to help me take care of myself - otherwise I wouldn't be able to take care of anyone else right? Easier said than done - but I will consciously limit my online time as suggested in the second link. So if I don't reply to your email with my usual alacrity please understand that it's not you - it's me! And I'm not saying I won't be on Facebook - just not always there - if you miss me just feel free to give me a call!
By publishing the two links here I'm hoping that some one person out there might be helped as well - AND I will be on to recovery. Thank God I'm not yet a Twitter addict -I've heard that's a pretty tough one as well! Peace!

4 comments:

  1. Well said Rini. It's the urge to be everywhere all the time. I deleted my orkut account without batting an eye. FB has been harder to stay away from! But I did disable all my notifications after reading your post. So you've atleast touched one person today :D

    T-di

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent self analysis! Since i stay alone i am also addicted computer, may not be so much with FB but mostly web searching which seriously affect my time management particularly my blog writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Analysis! Ive tried to limit myself to twice a day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. T-di, Baba, and Mama - so great to have such a supportive family :) - I guess the initial few days will be hard - but there are so many other things that would be far more enriching and fulfilling ...
    Well looks like we are all on our path to recovery!

    ReplyDelete